Hot-Dipped Galvanized (HDG) Nails
Why Maze STORMGUARD® Hot-Dipped Galvanized (HDG) nails are better!
- Maze Nails controls the exclusive automated STORMGUARD® double hot-dipped galvanizing (HDG) process from start to finish on every single nail manufactured in our plant in Peru, IL.
- Maze STORMGUARD® double hot-dipped galvanized nails (HDG) meet and exceed the ASTM A-153 Class D specification for hot-dipped galvanizing.
- Maze has over 100 years experience in hot-dipping nails with an unmatched record for quality. Look for the nails in the bright yellow STORMGUARD® boxes—there is no equal substitute for the MAZE brand double hot-dipped nails!
- Maze Nails are the #1 preferred brand requested by professional builders, remodelers and contractors nationwide.
- Maze STORMGUARD® Nails are recommended for the new treated lumber.
- Not only are Maze STORMGUARD® double hot-dipped galvanized nails (HDG) made from highest quality domestic recycled steel, they are packaged in cardboard boxes made from recycled paper products, AND our waste zinc is recycled into useful materials used in paint pigments, car tires, etc.
- 91% of the steel in 100% Made in the U.S.A. Maze Nails are made from steel scrap and Maze STORMGUARD® double hot-dipped galvanized (HDG) nails have a minimum 85% recycled steel and zinc content.
- Maze STORMGUARD® double hot-dipped galvanized (HDG) nails are an environmentally preferable product so builders and remodelers seeking to comply with the LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Building Program will earn points in the materials and resources (recycled content), low emissions and/or local production categories.
Maze Nails made from recycled steel!
Maze uses only the highest quality domestic, re-melted steel. By using re-melted steel, the obvious environmental benefit is that no additional mining must be done to meet our steel demands and less steel is thrown into landfills. The scrap steel that we generate while making nails heads right back to the steel mills for re-melting... along with steel from scrapped automobiles, I-beams, radiators, etc.
We re-claim most of the raw materials we consume; such as zinc, steel, and certain acids. Many nail manufacturers, including Maze, "pickle" their steel in an acid bath prior to making it into nails. After several years and hundreds of thousands of dollars, we now have a completely self-contained Acid Recovery Unit. The unit converts the harmful, spent acids into useful raw materials we then can offer to other companies. The "ferrous sulfate" which this equipment extracts, for example, is used in fertilizers, pharmaceuticals and even in snack foods.
We use millions of pounds of zinc in our unique Double Hot-Dip Galvanizing (HDG) (STORMGUARD®) process. All of our waste zinc is recycled into useful materials - which are then used in paint pigments, car tires, etc. So, our zinc by-products are being utilized too.
All Maze nails and spikes are packaged in cardboard boxes which are made from recycled paper products - and many of our price lists and literature pieces are printed on recycled paper too. Maze Nails has a strong commitment to using quality recycled materials whenever we can - and to insuring that our manufacturing process results in reclaimable products!
So there you have it, the "green" side of Maze Nails.